While the third episode of season two is still caught up in the early stages of production, I am happy to announce that I have reworked the old Obsoleet shirt design to be something a little more… permanent. The old design featured the old site URL, which changed ages ago. The new shirt features the show’s slogan: “Where Old Technology Goes to Live” in the fitting Data 70 font. The shirt is available at the Noobelodeon Store in men’s sizes S – XXL. Check it out!
New episodes of Obsoleet will now also appear on TheNewTech.tv in addition to the usual sites which I regularly post episodes on.
While you’re there, be sure to check out episodes of TheNewTech as well as community-written articles from TheNewTech’s Article Network (including some of my own) and community-produced podcasts from TheNewTech’s Podcast Network.
Two weeks ago, I released the first Obsoleet episode in two years. It’s been a long time coming and I simply cannot believe so much time has gone by since that last episode of season one hit the internet. A lot has changed since then and if you followed my sporadic posts over the last two years, you’ll know I picked up some new gear and new goodies along the way.
If you haven’t already seen the new episode, take a minute and check it out. I hoped to give the same old Obsoleet feel with my new equipment, and think that the resulting episode came out nicely. There are still things that I need to work on, and am always working on. My biggest problems have always been sound and lighting, and I aim to work on those as much as possible. I’ve received mostly positive reviews of this past episode, but am always working to improve my previous attempts. Additionally, I admit the last episode was a little light on the content, but I wanted to get out what I could and create some momentum to keep me going even further. If you read my last update, you will know that in addition to the floppy segment from this past episode, I was also working on a Raspberry Pi based segment. Well… I accidentally threw out some of the video I took. Not a big deal as I can recreate it, but it definitely set me back. I hope to push out segments quickly and completely and make sure nothing stays on the back burner for too long.
As for my next segments, I can say that I am working on completing this Raspberry Pi fueled segment and have a few more Raspberry Pi segments coming up behind. I also have some other segments in the works, but I’ve been very RPi focused over the past few weeks and enjoy the interesting, though tedious, challenges that come with the platform.
Additionally, I’ve been working to try to revive some of the services I utilize for the show. Donations have now been expanded, and Dogecoin (as well as your other favorite cryptocurrencies) is now accepted aside from traditional donation services. These changes are reflected on the Donations page as well as a new widget on the left side of the screen. Social networking sites should also see some minor tweaks, and I do hope to redo the iTunes feed. Things are progressing fairly well, and I hope to bring out another episode soon.
As always, feel free to send me your questions, comments, concerns, or episode ideas. I’ve already got a few of each but always consider every bit of feedback I get.
I hope you’re enjoying season two as much as I am so far. See you next episode!
I took a good amount of time over my spring recess to get back into the swing of things with Obsoleet. Let’s go over what’s been going on.
Since I’m now shooting in high definition and aiming for a 720p release size, I’ve decided to create a new introduction sequence. Nothing too special, just a montage of various shots of tech doing awesome things. Moonlit has also gone ahead (or maybe I badgered him a little) to create a remix of the theme song to go along with the new introduction. I wrapped this up last week.
The season premier will have two main segments: one involving Commodore floppies, and another with a Raspberry Pi. Hopefully that whets your appetite a bit. Both of them involve filming as well as screen capture of some sort or another, so there’s a little more complexity with pulling them off. The first segment has been completely filmed, while the second segment has about 1/3 completed. The other 2/3 shouldn’t take much longer.
Additionally, I will need to do the beginning, end, and transition bits (which should go quickly) and I also want to record a little skit as an opener. Nothing to major there. After dumping all of the footage, it will probably just be a few hours of editing if the software behaves. As for the filming itself, things are going pretty smoothly and I’ve been getting much better at lighting shots.
It’s been a long time coming, but we’re getting close to an episode. Here are a few stills as my way of saying thanks for hanging in there.
Also, last Friday I was a guest on the Pubcast podcast (I did end up talking about the upcoming episode for a bit) so feel free to check that out if you get a chance. Ultimately, I hope to wrap up filming fairly soon and get started on the next episode.